Our Uzbekistan Adoption Journey

Thursday, December 20, 2007

L's nickname

I can't believe I'm getting this caught up in a simple nickname, but somehow it seems important. I think when you're adopting, you feel so helpless that your little one is so far away that any little thing you can do for them or any decision, no matter how insignificant, becomes really important!

I got a great suggestion - GP, for God's Promise! I love that - so meaningful to me! But then I said it out loud in my head (can you do that?) a couple times and realized it sounded like GP as in General Practitioner. Then I mulled over "Promise" which reminds me of butter, and then it dawned on me - "Candy!" That's what I first learned about her - that she likes candy! Which of course reminded me of Woogie who can't get enough of the stuff! I can't wait to take L to a candy store! Of course, then an observant Uzbek PAP pointed out something about that name that I hadn't known (see comments for details, I want to keep this "G" rated!).

I had already thought maybe I liked "Sweetie" better, but I was also intrigued by the "Doc" suggestion (in reference to the "GP" name gone wrong!). Ok, so now please try to follow my logic as twisted as it may be! I started thinking of Seven Dwarves: Doc - no, Sleepy- no, Grumpy - no (but that could be a great back-up name for Woogie some days!), Happy - oh, wait, that could work! I've heard that she's a very happy, smiley little girl! Oh wait, "Smiley"- that could be a good nickname! Oh, but a little cartoony or something I can't put my finger on. "Smiley," "Smiley," - or "Miley!" Woogie loves Hannah Montana (who is Miley Cyrus - Billy Ray's daughter for those of you who don't have preteen girls!). I've been thinking what a cute name "Miley" is lately, and I know Woogie would approve. But then I thought, what if I changed the spelling to "Myli," which actually has some significance in light of her real name. I LIKE IT! What do you think (if I haven't completely lost you in my train of thought!)? It doesn't mean EENT or OB/GYN in Russian does it?!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home