Our Uzbekistan Adoption Journey

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I Feel Like I've Been Pregnant for a Year

This is how I feel today - ready to explode! One year ago today, we decided to start this adoption process. I remember how caught off guard I was to feel the same feeling I felt when I saw that first positive pregnancy test I had been wanting to see for so long - the perfect mixture of absolute joy and terror!

All along the way I've been struck by the similarities of the processes of pregnancy and adoption. Occasionally I get overwhelmed thinking about how I will care for another child. Or I start thinking about how this will affect our other children or about how it will change the dynamics of our family. All the same concerns I had each time I was pregnant! And now I don't know why I'm surprised that we're still waiting for our little girl, I went overdue with all of my kids! And it's so similar. After I would go past my due dates, Scott used to say he didn't believe there was really a baby - it must be a tumor. Some days I feel like that. Is this really going to happen? Are we really going to get a new daughter out of all of this? I'm as emotionally tired as I was physically tired in this picture (and this was Woogie - 2 lbs. smaller than Meatball!). I'm so ready to get this over with, meet my little girl, and hold her in my arms! I'm so ready to love and care for her and experience what it is like to have four children. I'm so past ready!

On the bright side, I had a little distraction today. Our dryer has been broken for a week, and we haven't been able to get someone here to fix it. I'm used to doing 2 loads of laundry every day, so you can only imagine how it was starting to pile up! Well, it got fixed today! I wanted to kiss the repairman (hey - same feeling I had for the guy who gave me an epidural during my first birth!).

2 Comments:

  • I so understand what you say. It will be 6 months on sunday, that our dossier is in Uzbek and we are as faraway from a referral as 6 months ago. What keeps me going, is that Christophers little brother is out there and we just have to find him.

    By Blogger Ute, At January 8, 2008 at 7:10 PM  

  • I have often had the notion come into my head that pregnancy was easier and that I could have been pregnant 5 times during this process:). You looked great pregnant!

    By Blogger mel@livvyloowho, At January 9, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home