Our Uzbekistan Adoption Journey

Monday, February 11, 2008

All Things Russian

I don't know if I've ever mentioned the fact that Myli is Russian. She speaks Russian, and I believe her birth mother was born in Russia. So not only have we tried to learn about Uzbekistan, but we've also tried to learn about Russian culture. I've enjoyed learning a little Russian, and thanks to some material I found online, I feel like I am becoming more prepared to converse with Myli a bit. This is where we found the most helpful language guide! http://worknotes.com/AZ/AdoptingFromRussia/Kelleher/h0.stm
I was getting tired of hunting through Russian language materials to find anything that might be helpful to learn. I really don't have time to learn how to order from a restaurant or ask for directions. I also wasn't very interested in learning a whole new alphabet. This is great because it's all phonetic and is specific to the things you would want to learn to say to your new child. There are also other languages offered besides Russian. The lady that developed this was so nice to me. She had never overnighted the material before, but I was just desperate to get it before Scott was supposed to leave. She really went out of her way to work with me and encourage me in all of this. I think of her often, and how she said that when she adopted her son, it was a pilot program and it took 3 years. She said she hoped it had not taken us that long, and at the time, I reassured her that it had not taken us nearly that long. Now, unfortunately, I'm starting to see how such things happen!

Woogie and I went to a great Russian festival back in October at a local Russian Orthodox church. We didn't really go prepared to eat, but we did sample the Russian donuts - YUM! This year, we will definitely have to take the whole family and have dinner. Everything looked and smelled DELICIOUS! I didn't realize how much the traditional foods in my own family are very similar to Russian foods, but I guess it makes sense since we have a lot of Eastern European (Hungarian and German) in us. One of the highlights of the evening was Russian dancing. Woogie and I really enjoyed it!

Well, now I have a new addiction while I'm waiting for things to move on our adoption. It's kind of fitting because it's Russian Solitaire. It's very hard to win (I've only won 2 games out of a lot of attempts), but I can't stop playing nonetheless! Here's the link in case anyone is bored or wants to torture themselves!

http://justsolitaire.com/game.php?game=RussianSolitaire

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home