Our Uzbekistan Adoption Journey

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Another Good-bye



It's been a stressful week. My parents went on vacation a week and half ago, and whenever they are out of town, we dog-sit. Their dog, Amber, actually used to be our dog for about 6 years. Then we started having trouble with her and our very young kids. She had arthritis in her back, and let's just say that situation mixed with toddlers didn't end well... But we always enjoyed having her come and stay for a week or so once or twice a year. She has always been a smart, fun, and loyal dog - following me around wherever I go!

Well, this visit was different. I hardly recognized her when they brought her over. She had lost weight and if it's possible, had just shrunk in every way possible! My mom said she has been getting picky with her eating, but when she got here, things got much worse. She would hardly eat anything at all, and when she did eat, it almost always came back up. She was also having accidents in the house (which is unusual), and her stool looked very unhealthy. I was driving myself crazy trying to shop for and cook and feed her anything I could think that she might eat, not to mention cleaning up after her numerous times a day, but by last Thursday, it was very apparent that something was very wrong. I had hoped it was just being away from her home and my parents and that when they returned, she would start eating more normally. But when I took her to the vet, they confirmed what I suspected. She was very sick, and it was unlikely she would recover. But still, they said some dogs will rally for a while, so I took her home bound and determined to carefully time her anti-nausea injections with feeding her small amounts every few hours. If she wouldn't eat, I'd puree her food (or give her some kind of liquid nourishment) through a syringe. She vomited a little less, and I was a little hopeful, but by the time my parents came home Sunday night, I pretty much knew we were nearing the end.

This morning my mom took her back to the vet, and found out she had lost another pound since Friday (and trust, me she couldn't afford it!). It was evident that she wasn't going to recover, so they decided to put her to sleep, and she died quietly in my mom's arms. I was sad, but a little relieved after all she had been through last week. And I was grateful we got to spend some last time with her. The kids took it harder than I thought they would. After all, she hasn't been "our" dog in a long time. I had told them to really spend some time with her to say good-bye when my parents came to pick her up, letting them know that she was very sick and this might be the last time we saw her. They did ok with that, so I was a bit surprised by the outpouring of emotion today. Watching E.T. was a good distraction, but boy has it been an emotional week! I'm going to bed early.


Good-bye old friend. We'll miss you.

5 Comments:

  • So sad! I hate dealing with dying myself and it is even harder to help kids to deal with it. Sounds like you did a great job. You deserve a rest. Goodnight!

    By Blogger Nichole, At May 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM  

  • A pet is just another part of the family and we all grieve for them when they pass on. I lost my beloved dog Zoey and a few months later my baby cat Oliver both long before they should have gone. I still miss them. IT's good that the kids had time with the pet which will add memories that will return at an odd time in their lives. It also helps them know about the circle of life and how prescious it is. Nichole is right you did a great job with it all.

    By Blogger Dani, At May 28, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

  • Hi Jen,

    I'm so sorry for your loss of your dog Amber. Your pets certainly do become cherished parts of our families. It is very difficult when we have to let them go. You'll never be able to replace her. It sounds like you were the God in her life, and I am sure she will be smiling down on all of you!!

    By Blogger smctiver, At May 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

  • Jen,I am sorry for the loss of your dog. It is always hard to loose an animal, especially a dog who is a memeber of the family. You did a great job with the kids!

    By Blogger Ute, At May 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

  • Oh Jen......I'm so sorry. this just made me cry. Thinking of you and your family.

    By Blogger Tammie, At June 3, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home